What you need to know
Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC), also called advanced breast cancer (ABC) and secondary breast cancer (ABC), means that the cancer has spread from where it started in the breast to other parts of the body.
- Breast cancer claims the lives of more European women than any other cancer.
- While there is no cure for MBC today, there are better treatments that can lead to a better quality of life and longer extension of life.
- Approximately 5-10% of breast cancers are metastatic at diagnosis.
- It is estimated that 20-30% of women diagnosed with early breast cancer will eventually progress to metastatic disease.
- Early breast cancer may lead to MBC regardless of the stage at which it is diagnosed or measures taken.